Basic Fondant Recipe
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1. Prepare your workstation by setting a large baking sheet on a sturdy counter or table top, and sprinkling it lightly with water.
2. Combine the sugar, water, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then cover the pan and allow the sugar syrup to boil for 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove the lid, and continue to cook the syrup, without stirring, until it reaches 240 degrees.
4. Pour the sugar syrup onto the prepared baking sheet. Allow it to sit at room temperature for several minutes. After 2-3 minutes, lightly touch the syrup with a fingertip. When it is warm but not hot, it is ready to be worked.
5. Dampen a metal spatula or dough scraper with water, and use the scraper to push the syrup into a pile in the middle of the sheet.
6. Using a dampened plastic spatula or wooden spoon, begin to “cream,” or work, the fondant in a figure-8 pattern. Continually scrape the fondant into the center, draw a figure-8, then scrape it together again. At first the fondant will be very clear and fluid, but it will gradually become more opaque and creamy. After 5-10 minutes, the fondant will become very stiff, crumbly, and hard to manipulate.
7. Once the fondant reaches this state, moisten your hands and begin kneading it into a ball like bread dough. As you knead, the fondant will begin to come together and will get softer and smoother. Stop kneading once your fondant is a smooth ball without lumps.
8. At this point, your fondant can be used for melting and pouring. If you want to make flavored fondant candies, it is best to “ripen” your fondant for 12 hours to obtain the best flavor and texture. To ripen the fondant, lightly moisten the inside of a bowl, and place your ball of fondant in the bowl. Cover it with a damp towel and store it in the refrigerator overnight. After ripening, the fondant can be flavored, rolled, and shaped in whatever manner you wish. This recipe produces about 3/4 lb fondant.
Show Reviews (0)